Sunday, December 23, 2007

What's local

Before I arrived in the Solomon islands I was aware my knowledge of the local foods was not great. It was (and still is) my intention to eat a locally derived christmas dinner, but given my pigeon is still in its infancy I was concerned at how I would know what had been locally produced. I need not have worried.

The Solomons seem to be a classic example of almost all the problems that plague Pacific nations. The first is political instability. Most of us would be aware of what is now seen as the imperialist attitude that saw so many indigenous people denied their traditional spirituality. Colonial powers felt, for various reasons, a need to demonise and eradicate traditional beliefs and practices and replace them with christianity. Today this practice is viewed by many as the arrogant, politically motivated tactic I believe it was (although parts of Africa are still the domain of the zealous evangelist). The longer I am in Honiara the more I wonder if imposing a western system of government on this country wasn't a political version of the same practice. Just as traditional spirituality crept into the christianity practiced by indigenous people, Wantok can not be excluded from Solomons governement. Wantok is the traditional consideration and favourable treatment given to your relatives and community members. When overlaid on a western government it is usually viewed by outsiders as bribery and corruption.

Another imposition that the Solomons suffer, like many Pacific nations, is a wide variety of imported food. I've written a post earlier about rice in particular. Many other foods imported from asia, invariably either very sugary or salty are also widely available. These massively processed foods attract young easilly influenced palates in a way locally grown produce never could.

The other big impediment that the Solomon Islands suffer can best be described by the term ironically coined for Australia - the tyranny of distance. For various reasons, some of them just mentioned, tourism and the regular trade it brings has largely eluded the Solomons. Compared to its neighbours, Fiji and Vanuatu, flights to Honiara are often four times as expensive. This has also resulted in expensive freight costs which are pssed on to the consumer. (Perhaps these are soem of the few that already pay a propper carbon tax?)

So we come back to my original question - how can I tell if it's local? The answer was actually remarkably simple. If the food is minimally processed (ie the husk has been removed from the coconut or the taro has been dug up) it's local. If it comes in an outrageously bright, shiny plastic packet and costs a similarly outrageous amount - even a box of wheetbix would cost the average person a day and a half's wage - its come a long way.
A freighter moored just of the coast seen from the Honiara town market

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea it is to eat locally. it really makes you think about the source of your food. The rellies on Christmas day were typically sceptical but tucked into the offerings Rachael and I had made. Unfortunately I was unable to make a complete meal with local produce for the carnivores and I have to admit I cant go without coffee, but it was certainly worth doing and I will continue and improve! I have given the information to our local green grocer at Bridgewater and he was very enthusiastic. I encourage people to shop there and encourage him. he already has mostly local produce and much organic. I will never buy maionaise again having made it with local ingredients, and the vinaigrette I made using some cumquats from the tree on the verandah with olive oil from Oakbank was particularly piquant. Denis tells everyone about it as you can imagine!!
I will be interested to hear what you ate on Christmas day, Andy.